Rosehedge/Multifaith Works Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

Just Need Someone To Listen

Not long ago, I heard about a Program called Shanti.  It’s a program that supports men and women living with life changing illnesses.  After talking to the Shanti Program Coordinator, I learned that the first step to getting involved in such the program was to first participate in the two weekend training.  Two weekends?  I didn’t know what to expect.

When I showed up, I saw men and women of different ages, cultures, and experiences.   I wondered, why are they here?  Even the Facilitators had me wondering what I had signed up for.   My fears aside, I instantly realized that the folks to my left and right were having their own questions and fears.  From the very first exercise, I was ready to fully participate and get involved with Shanti!

One of the exercise asked what I called "getting free".  Tough question with many answers.  We were all in a circle while different questions were asked.  If you related - you stepped forward.  The results surprised me.  Despite our fears or hesitations, we all participated.  I, along with others, felt so proud to get so honest in a room full of strangers.  That exercise opened my mind to seeing and "listening" to people - without preconceived assumptions.

There were different discussion panels coming in and it got me to thinking - how many no-strings-attached people are there for someone struggling with a life changing illness?  Have you ever sat with someone and just listened?  I mean just sitting without bringing your profession or any of your ideas into a conversation?  Well this Shanti Training taught me that some people living with life changing illnesses don't need another Doctor or another Professional telling them or directing them.  Day to day they just need someone to listen.

This Training was one of the best things I have done.

Tim D
Volunteer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home