Rosehedge/Multifaith Works Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What Can I Say about Those Times?

What can I say about those times? I had a $900-a-month condo that I couldn’t afford, and had moved back to Ohio for a break and to get away from my meth addiction. But, Ohio was not going that well. I was off the drugs but was staying with Dad who was chronically depressed because his life had just been destroyed since his wife died of Parkinson’s disease. Heartbreaking, I know, but I had my own problems having AIDS and all and nowhere to go.

So I decided to go back to Seattle. I ended up having to go the Lifelong AIDS Alliance again for help. As you probably know, there aren’t many options for housing in Seattle that a poor person has, but my caseworker advocated Rosehedge/Multifaith Works housing. I was against it. I don’t live well with others. But I eventually went along with it since I needed a place to live and also since my case manager was right about my need to socialize.

Here’s what I got for my trouble: An awesome room in a Rosehedge/Multifaith Works house with a gorgeous view over Lake Washington, and exposure to some of the nicest folks I have ever met.  I enjoyed your company, care and compassion, and admired your non-judgmental acceptance of everybody. 

Remembering it all, not only did I feel it in my life, but I saw it in the eyes of my peers - I saw joy! For example, they had a monthly dinner at the house put on by CareTeam volunteers, and everyone was always so happy and excited on that Sunday! It was fun for everyone.  And I can't give Shanti enough praise! It's a great program. During my time in Seattle, I had 5 Shanti friends, 2 of whom I am still in contact with today. It's really great when you are lonely and hurting just to be able to go out and talk one-on-one with a smart and caring person.

There are many things written about life-changing experiences, and learning I had AIDS and having to deal with it was certainly that, but clouds have silver linings. And mine was falling into the Rosehedge/Multifaith Works crowd. Sure you gave me a place to live for a while and helped me with practical things, but the best thing you ever did for me is that you changed my perspective and gave me hope! So now I am back in Ohio in a house that is way too big for me with a dog and a cat, and I am happy. Rosehedge/Multifaith Works was very helpful in getting me through some very tough times. I couldn’t have done it without you! Thank you so much and keep up all the loving!

Larry C.
Former Resident

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home