Rosehedge/Multifaith Works Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Wearing the Ribbon

With this past year being the 30th anniversary of the first AIDS diagnosis, there were more news articles regarding AIDS than usual.

One that caught my eye was written by a man who stated that the reason people wear the red ribbon is because it makes them feel good about themselves for giving.  Hmmmm. That gave me reason to think, "Is that why I wear the ribbon?".

I do not deny that I am proud of being associated with this agency and my 13 years of volunteering and financial support, but is that why I wear my ribbon?

This year in late November, as I was getting ready for church, I pinned my favorite ribbon to my sweater.  I have several, some fabric, some ceramic, one intertwined with a cross, (I even have one that lights up and blinks!), but my favorite is a wide, deep red satin one that I believe came in an AMFAR solicitation.  Then, a couple weeks before World AIDS Day, I asked my seamstress co-worker to duplicate this ribbon so that I could give one to everyone sitting at my table at the Stronger Together Breakfast.  Everyone at my table left that breakfast wearing the ribbon.  Lastly, a few days before World AIDS Day, I changed my profile picture on Facebook to a big red ribbon!

So, why DO I wear the ribbon?  I like to think it is so the friends I have lost in the past 30 years, know that they have not been forgotten, that they were an important part of my life.  It is also to remind people that AIDS is not over.  Most importantly, it is to show my friends living with AIDS that they are not alone; we continue the work, we will continue to support them until there is a cure.

Lizann Jones
President, Board of Directors
Rosehedge/Multifaith Works

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home