Rosehedge/Multifaith Works Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Homeless and Feeling Helpless


In April of 2011 I found myself in a very unsafe place with a roommate who was becoming physically violent with me and threatening me with a knife.  I contacted Lifelong AIDS Alliance and asked what could be done to get me into safe housing since I was not working at the time and was struggling to stay off methamphetamines.  I had been sober for approximately 30 days at the time. I was placed in a men's shelter for the night. I had a friend store all of my belongings except for a few articles of clothing.

The next day I met again with my housing advocate at Lifelong.  Clarissa put me in touch with a lady named Mary at Rosehedge/Multifaith Works.  On my way back to the library I contacted Mary.  She was very understanding and compassionate on the phone. I met with her the following day and immediately felt comfortable with her. She gave me the number of the resident advisor at Beighle House. I contacted him immediately and arranged to meet with him on Wednesday and also attend the house meeting. I was immediately placed at ease as he informed me that he understood what it meant to be in recovery and the need for support as well as having a safe and stable place to live.

April 6, 2011 was the day I was given keys to my new room and to the front door of Beighle House a Rosehedge/Multifaith Works transitional home.  While living at Beighle House, as with most people in recovery, there were some brief relapses.  Not one time did anyone from Rosehedge/Multifaith put me down, or make me feel like I was a failure. Quite the opposite was true. They rallied around me and let me make my own choices in what to do to get back on track and stay sober. Each time they supported me and were more concerned with what they could do to help rather than "punish" me or give me new requirements to stay in the house. Instead, they offered many resources to help with recovery and also got me involved with their Shift Peer Recovery program who helped me get a recovery coach at no cost. The staff always listened to me and made me feel as if I was someone of value. They were always concerned, not only with my recovery from meth but also my personal physical, mental, and emotional health and well-being.

I can honestly say that if it had not been for Rosehedge/Multifaith Works housing and staff as well as Shift Peer Recovery Program, I would still be actively using meth on a daily basis, homeless and hopeless, if not already dead.  My life before they stepped in to house me, care for me, and support me was headed down a dead end street. I learned more about my addiction, and health during my stay with Rosehedge/Multifaith Works than I ever thought I would. My mental and emotional health is also getting better. I am forever grateful to them for the love, compassion, support and most of all how each staff person gave of themselves unconditionally to make sure that I survived and found stable and safe permanent housing. On Feb 1st, 2013 I moved into my new apartment and am still sober. This would never have been possible without the staff of Rosehedge/Multifaith Works. Thanks again for being a family that cared!

John C.

Former Rosehedge/Multifaith Works Tenant

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home